Saturday, October 10, 2009

Finding the right venue...



It's not as easy as one would think. Of course everyone has their own standards, but there are at least four fundamentals everyone must think about before even considering a spot to host a night. Sound, location, capacity, and VIBE are essential. Of course that is only the beginning. If you do find a spot that does have these essentials, the next step is to approach the bar or club owner. Somehow find a medium where both parties can make money and have a good time. For now let's not get into that side of it... for some reason the venue owner often thinks that the promoter or organizer shouldn't have to make money. I'm pretty sure they assume that we should just be lucky to have a spot. Weird. Let's just leave it at that.

I found a venue for Tuesday nights. Well let's see now. The sound is definitely there. The location is in downtown LA which means that people from Hollywood and the West side are both able to venture out. Capacity is perfect for a Tuesday - roughly 150 I would say. The owner claims 250, but for a Tuesday night a small, intimate spot is ideal. The VIBE: three quarters windows, flashing lights, and a bouncer who deters people from wearing shorts inside. Hmmm I'm not sure if that's the vibe I was anticipating. There lies the problem. I want this spot, and I want to begin this night. Honestly, I am afraid that I'm not being true to who I really am. Bright lights, dress codes, and judges. That's not me.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment